Over the past several years, emergency room waiting times have gotten longer for multiple reasons such as increased costs of health care, hospital closures, etc. Historically, people with low income and minorities have poorer outcomes and longer wait times during emergency room or clinic visits. This may result in further injury or death.
Here are some tips to help receive better, faster treatment in any hospital emergency room or clinic:
- For certain life-threatening injuries or symptoms, call an ambulance. For example, stroke victims fare better in terms of ER wait times when transported by ambulance, as opposed to being driven to the ER and going through triage. In stroke situations, seconds and minutes can mean the difference between life and death.
- Call your family doctor on the way and have him or her call the hospital or clinic to advise them you are on the way. This often facilitates faster, better treatment.
- Take a trusted friend with you and ask them to stay with you.
- Write down what happens and keep a timeline. If you’re too ill to do this, have your friend do this for you.
- Have your insurance coverage information available.
- Be polite, but assertive. Ask questions, but don’t bombard the staff.
- Ask if the hospital has a case manager. Some hospitals have case managers or social workers. Talking to one could help facilitate treatment.
- Don’t leave without important test results such as x-ray reports, etc.
Related Legal Article: Proving Emergency Room Mistake & Medical Malpractice in Pennsylvania
If you’d like a potential hospital or emergency room case reviewed by our lawyers, call 215.925.4451. The emergency room malpractice lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman handle cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.