Pennsylvania workers are protected under the law in situations where they are injured on the job. Most people think of an injury on the job as involving an accident of some kind. However, under Pennsylvania workers’ compensation law, there is no requirement that there be an actual accident which results in injury. Rather, diseases and conditions which develop over time can be compensable or covered under workers’ compensation. One commonly overlooked type of injury involves aggravation of a pre-existing condition or a reactivation of an old injury.
Below are common examples of pre-existing injuries which may be compensable under Pennsylvania workers’ compensation laws:
1. Aggravation of a pre-existing shoulder injury
Many construction, factory or industrial workers who engage in repetitive behavior are at risk for developing shoulder injuries, like rotator cuff injuries. An injury may occur, which triggers shoulder symptoms which eventually resolve. Months or years later, the shoulder symptoms may reappear due to repetitive work conditions. Workers who sustain shoulder injuries in these kinds of situations may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
2. Aggravation of a pre-existing knee injury
Knee injuries are some of the most common kinds of injuries. Slip and falls, car accidents, etc. can result in a knee injury. Workers who suffer a non-work related knee injury may still be able to recover for a work related knee injury.
3. Aggravation of a pre-existing back injury
Back injuries are also very common injuries, whether due to work conditions or not. Workers who have previously had back pain symptoms can recover for work-related aggravation of those symptoms.
More PA & NJ Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Articles:
- Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Law – Compensable Injury
- Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Law: What Injured Workers Should Know About Benefits for Disfigurement
- New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Legal Article: Employee Recovery for Injury
Contact a Pennsylvania workers’ compensation lawyer for more information.
Call Schwartz & Blackman as soon as possible to discuss any questions you may have. 215.925.4451
The workers’ compensation and social security disability lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman handle cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area, including:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.
Published: August 25, 2012