Both Pennsylvania and New Jersey property owners can be held liable for negligence which leads to an accident. What many people do not know is that homeowners insurance coverage often applies to a claim made against a homeowner and may ultimately be a source of financial recovery.
Therefore, if a someone falls on a neighbor’s property due to that neighbor’s negligence, PA and NJ tort law would allow the injured person to bring a negligence claim against the homeowner to recover for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering damages. If the neighbor has an applicable homeowners insurance policy, then that policy kicks in to provide coverage for those damages.
For example, if someone trips and falls on a neighbor’s property due to the neighbor’s negligence, and the neighbor has a homeowners insurance policy, the individual may be eligible to make a claim on that policy. The individual may then be able to recover for medical bills, time lost from work and pain and suffering.
Common Kinds of Negligent Acts Which Result in Liability
Under Pennsylvania tort or negligence law, a homeowner is required to take reasonable care of their property to protect others from harm. This means warning someone of a known danger, or in some cases, conducting inspections of property to find hidden dangers. Read more about property owner and homeowner liability for negligence. Common acts which are likely to result in liability include:
- negligent repairs,
- negligent maintenance, and
- failure to correct known defects.
Making an accident and injury claim with a neighbor’s homeowners insurance carrier should not be done without advice of an accident and injury lawyer.
Related fall accident content:
- Pennsylvania Fall Down Accident Law – A Homeowner’s Liability to Yard/Garage Sale Guests
- Water on the Floor – Pennsylvania Slip & Fall Accident Law
- Pain and Suffering Damages in a Pennsylvania Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Philadelphia Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers
Schwartz & Blackman has been representing the injured and their families for over thirty years in slip and fall accident cases. Our firm offers a free consultation for all Pennsylvania and New Jersey injury and accident victims. Call now and ask for your free consultation. 215.925.4451
Schwartz & Blackman handles fall down accident cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.