Young riders may scoff at the idea of hearing loss due to motorcycle riding. However, motorcycle riding can cause long term hearing loss. Each time you take your motorcycle out for a ride without using ear protection, you are damaging your hearing. Hearing loss is a stark reality for motorcycle riders.
Most folks think that hearing loss is due to the sound of riding the bike. However, the real threat is wind noise. At 65 miles per hour, wind noise can exceed 100 dB (decibels), similar noise levels produced during operation of a chainsaw.
Anything over 85 dB is considered dangerous. In fact OSHA’s maximum industrial noise level for an 8 hour period is 85-90 dB. At repeated and high levels of noise exposure, hearing loss, tinnitus and/or permanent ear damage may occur.
There is a misconception that wearing a helmet is sufficient to prevent exposure to noise. This is not true. Wearing a helmet does not necessarily decrease wind noise level. In fact, some helmets can amplify wind noise.
Ear plugs are important in preventing hearing damage and loss. You can buy a pair in any motorcycle shop, drug store or home improvement store. You should experiment with different brands to find one that best fits your ear.
However, ear plugs must be properly fitted. Putting a dab of petroleum jelly on the ear plug before use can provide the proper seal necessary to block out all sound. Be sure to wash the ear plugs after use and let them dry completely before using them again.
Wearing ear protection is as important as wearing riding gear or wearing a helmet. Do yourself a favor and buy some decent quality ear plugs.
- Motorcycle Left Turn Intersection Accidents
- What Does Age Have to do with Severity of Motorcycle Accident Injuries?
- Fatal Motorcycle Accidents in Pennsylvania – A Look at Helmet Laws
Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
The lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman take great pride in representing other motorcyclists and have successfully handled many motorcycle accident cases and offers free consultations. 215.925.4451
Schwartz & Blackman handles motorcycle accident cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities