A: Many of the clients who come to Schwartz and Blackman to inquire about a potential medical malpractice claim do not know whether they have a valid claim against a Philadelphia area hospital or emergency room. Finding the answer requires the following general steps:
- Contact and meet with a knowledgeable and experienced medical malpractice lawyer.
- The lawyer will request and carefully review all medical records.
- If the case has merit, the lawyer will obtain a medical expert review of all medical records to determine whether the hospital/emergency room failed to act with the required level of skill, knowledge, and care customarily exercised in the profession.
- After the medical expert review is concluded, the lawyer will meet with the client to discuss options.
It is important to note that not every instance of hospital or emergency room malpractice will result in an actual case or lawsuit. The high costs of prosecuting these cases mean that the damages suffered by the client must be sufficient to warrant filing a lawsuit. So for example, let’s say that emergency room malpractice such as a delayed diagnosis resulted in delay of surgery for several hours or days. If the delay of surgery did not cause any damage, such as a worsened condition, there would not be enough damages to warrant pursuing a case.
Read this article to learn more about proving emergency room mistakes or malpractice law in Pennsylvania.
If you’d like to have your case reviewed by our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania emergency room malpractice lawyers, call 215.925.4451. Our lawyers are available for a free, no obligation legal consultation.
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.
The medical malpractice lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman handle cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities