Head and brain injuries are very common in fall down accidents. Whether a slip and fall or a trip and fall accident, many people hit their heads against concrete, marble, asphalt and stone. The presence of this kind of injury can be compounded or hidden by other more apparent injuries like broken bones. However, those with head injuries often notice the following symptoms:
- sensitivity to light,
- inability to concentrate,
- difficulty with word recall,
- memory problems, and
- increased aggression, depression and anxiety.
While the majority of folks with head injuries will recover within 6 months of the injury, for some, the symptoms can be permanent. Head and brain injuries can wreak havoc. Work may never be the same. Marriages can become strained.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Head/Brain Injuries
Most head and brain injuries cannot be detected with any diagnostic test. Sometimes the only evidence that a fall down accident victim sustained a head injury is a bruise or abrasion on a forehead. Post-concussion or concussive syndrome is usually diagnosed by a family care physician. However, most family care physicians simply aren’t able to provide any long term treatment. Prescription medication for some of the symptoms such as headaches or depression may be marginally helpful. Rather, intensive cognitive therapy, speech therapy, and treatment with a neuropsychologist may be the only real way to help someone with a head injury.
For those with head injuries, it is important to follow up with not only your family care physician, but also neuropsychologists and/or cognitive therapists. It is important to seek care and report all symptoms to your family care physician.
- Landlord Liability in Pennsylvania – Negligence Laws
- Pennsylvania Slip and Fall Law – Liability of Stores & Businesses
- Slip and Fall Accidents at Work in Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Slip and Fall Lawyers
The Philadelphia slip and fall accident lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman accept cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area and always offer a free consultation:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.