In Pennsylvania medical malpractice cases, hospitals can be sued alongside the doctors and other employees who commit negligence. The basis of hospital liability in a case of medical malpractice in Pennsylvania lies in the type of negligence claim which can be made against a hospital. In Pennsylvania, hospitals can be sued for corporate negligence or for the actions of an employee who commits negligence.
In a hospital malpractice case, a claim of corporate negligence is based on the acts of the hospital itself, or as the case may be, the failure to act. A hospital is guilty of corporate negligence when it fails to provide care in accordance with the proper standard of care and duty to reasonably provide for a patient’s safety and well-being. A patient who brings a corporate negligence claim against a hospital does not have to prove the negligence of any other party.
Under Pennsylvania law, hospitals owe the following duties to patients:
- to use reasonable care in the maintenance of safe and adequate facilities and equipment,
- to select and retain only competent physicians,
- to oversee all persons who practice medicine within its walls as to patient care, and
- to formulate, adopt and enforce adequate rules and policies to ensure quality care for the patients.
For more information, contact our Pennsylvania hospital emergency room lawyers at 215.925.4451. Our lawyers are available for a free, no obligation legal consultation.
Related Legal Articles:
- Pennsylvania Hospital Medical Malpractice Law – Theories of Negligence Against Hospitals
- How to Prove Hospital & Emergency Room Medical Malpractice in Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Hospital Emergency Room Malpractice Law – The Statute of Limitations
- Proving Emergency Room Mistake & Medical Malpractice in Pennsylvania
The lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman handle hospital malpractice cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.
Published: July 18, 2012