Earlier this week, the Governors Highway Safety Association issued a preliminary report about motorcycle accidents in the U.S. which occurred in 2012. Although the numbers are preliminary, the findings reveal a troubling trend – motorcycle accidents are on the rise.
Below are some of the report’s key findings.
- The number of motorcycle traffic fatalities in the United States increased about 9% in 2012.
- Motorcycle accident deaths have risen in 14 of the last 15 years.
- From 1977 to 2011, the number of motorcycle accident deaths per year doubled, despite the fact that total traffic fatalities have dropped in the same period.
- From January through September 2012, 3,922 motorcycle riders were killed (compared to 3,760 in 2011).
- The majority of states, 34, saw an increase in the number of motorcycle accident deaths.
- Sixteen states saw declines in motorcycle accident deaths. One of those states was New Jersey.
- The number of states with universal motorcycle helmet laws totals 19 (down from 26 in 1977).
Suggested reading: Fatal Motorcycle Accidents Increasing in Pennsylvania
The data clearly demonstrates increased motorcycle riding across the country with a corresponding increase in the number of fatal motorcycle accidents. We must work to reverse this trend. Mandatory helmet use and mandatory, repeated motorcycle safety courses are two ways to decrease motorcycle accident deaths.
Pennsylvania’s motorcycle helmet law does not require helmets for many riders, such as those who are over the age of 21 and have either had their motorcycle operator’s license for at least 2 years or taken an approved motorcycle safety course. Read more about Pennsylvania’s motorcycle helmet law.
Related Motorcycle Accident Posts:
- Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accidents – Steps to Take After an Accident
- What to Expect in a Pennsylvania Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
- Three Common Motorcycle Accident Scenarios
Pennsylvania Car & Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
The lawyers at Schwartz & Blackman take great pride in representing motorcyclists. The firm has successfully handled many motorcycle accident cases and offers free consultations. 215.925.4451
Schwartz & Blackman handles motorcycle accident cases in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey area:
- PA: Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County, Philadelphia County, Allentown, Lehigh Valley, Norristown, Philadelphia
- NJ: Atlantic County, Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Camden, Cherry Hill, New Jersey shore cities
*This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is important to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.